My name’s Edward Gale, former columnist for the much
overrated New York Times New Paper. I have developed a fancy for analyzing and
writing about social classes and the structure of our societies; it’s just a
shame that the head honchos up at the New York Times believe that these topics are
too controversial for the average reader to handle. I have chosen to become a
free-lance writer and I have created this new medium to share my voice and my
opinions with the world known as a blog. I have turned my attention away from
the ever bustling Big Apple and have been captivated by the West Egg and East
Egg communities as well as by the desolate valley of ashes. I will be sharing
stories as well as my opinions through the use of blog entries so please feel
free to read them and hopefully you will find some enlightenment out of them.

Tom & Myrtle's Affair


I looked more indepth at the cheating scandal between Tom Buchanan and Myrtle Wilson and found some interesting info. If you’ve read my other posts then you know that Tom has a wife named Daisy. Well I just found out that they have a baby! This makes Tom’s relationship with Myrtle even more sickening! If you were close friends with the Buchannan’s you might not have even known that they had a baby. I heard that Daisy has a troop of nannies taking care of her child all the time and that she rarely even speaks to it.

My sources tell me that Daisy is aware of the fact that her husband is having an affair but she probably has no idea who he’s having an affair with and I doubt that she suspects someone from such a low class like Myrtle. Imagine if Daisy found out that Tom was cheating on her with a Lower Class woman from the valley of ashes! Would Daisy be relieved that he wasn’t having an affair with one of her friends or someone of the same social class as her? Or would she be outraged at the fact that her husband found delight in someone so far   below herself?

It’s interesting that Tom chose to have an affair with someone so low in the first place. Maybe it was the fact that it was easier to keep their relationship a secret that appealed to him. Perhaps he enjoyed the company of a woman who was beneath him, an exciting change from Daisy. Even if this relationship was revealed to the world I’m not too sure that it would even have an effect on Tom’s social standing. I mean everyone would probably focus on Myrtle and how she’s a piece of garbage for ripping apart a family, but regarding Tom - I think they would look at him as a tricked victim. Nevertheless, I think everyone in this situation is guilty. It seems that morals have been stripped from this society, and for all I know, Daisy could be having an affair with someone too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment