My name’s Edward Gale, former columnist for the much
overrated New York Times New Paper. I have developed a fancy for analyzing and
writing about social classes and the structure of our societies; it’s just a
shame that the head honchos up at the New York Times believe that these topics are
too controversial for the average reader to handle. I have chosen to become a
free-lance writer and I have created this new medium to share my voice and my
opinions with the world known as a blog. I have turned my attention away from
the ever bustling Big Apple and have been captivated by the West Egg and East
Egg communities as well as by the desolate valley of ashes. I will be sharing
stories as well as my opinions through the use of blog entries so please feel
free to read them and hopefully you will find some enlightenment out of them.

Social Standings



For this entry, I am going to be listing all the interesting characters that I have so far encountered or heard of and I will tell you what I think their social classes are at this point.


Nick Carraway


Nick Carraway comes from an affluent family and has been educated at Yale University. Although his family is wealthy, Nick is learning the bond business and is living in a small home in West Egg. I consider Nick to be of upper middle class.


Jay Gatsby

Although I know very little about Gatsby, I think I have enough info to determine his social class. Gatsby is obviously wealthy, evident by his large home and the extravagant parties that he hosts. According to rumours, he was educated at Oxford. I was unable to find any trace of wealthy family members so I presume that he is the first wealthy member of his family. I’m not sure how Gatsby obtained his wealth but he definitely earned it himself therefore I consider him to be of lower upper class.


Daisy Buchanan

 Daisy Buchanan - Nick Carraway’s second cousin and Tom Buchanan’s wife- comes from a wealthy family. She simply had money passed down to her so Daisy is of upper upper class.


Tom Buchanan

The egotistical and powerful Tom Buchanan is extremely wealthy. Like his wife, this money ran in his family and was simply passed down to him so he is of upper upper class.


Myrtle Wilson

Myrtle Wilson lives in the valley of ashes with her lifeless husband George Wilson. Although she tries to appear of high class when she’s around Tom Buchanan, there’s no denying what class she really belongs in - upper lower class.


George Wilson

George Wilson, the owner of a garage in the valley of ashes is definitely of upper lower class like his wife, Myrtle. George shows no capability of being able to improve his standings on the social ladder.


Jordan Baker

Jordan Baker is a long-time friend of Daisy’s and like Daisy, she comes from a wealthy family. Jordan Baker is a professional golfer and I consider her to be of upper upper class.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment