My name’s Edward Gale, former columnist for the much
overrated New York Times New Paper. I have developed a fancy for analyzing and
writing about social classes and the structure of our societies; it’s just a
shame that the head honchos up at the New York Times believe that these topics are
too controversial for the average reader to handle. I have chosen to become a
free-lance writer and I have created this new medium to share my voice and my
opinions with the world known as a blog. I have turned my attention away from
the ever bustling Big Apple and have been captivated by the West Egg and East
Egg communities as well as by the desolate valley of ashes. I will be sharing
stories as well as my opinions through the use of blog entries so please feel
free to read them and hopefully you will find some enlightenment out of them.

An Interview with Nick Carraway




For this entry, I have the greatest pleasure of interviewing the now famous but still humble, Nick Carraway.


How are you today Mr. Carraway?

(N.C)- Well Edward, I’m glad to be here with you today and please, call me Nick!

Okay Nick, sorry to be so formal, I just thought that a big shot like you would prefer it that way. Say, it’s been a while since I’ve put up an entry on this blog, why don’t you tell my readers how well you’ve been doing for yourself in the bond business?

(N.C)- Sure Edward. After moving back home from West Egg, I partnered up with some other young men who were into the bond business and we opened up a small office. Business was so successful that we brought it to New York and bought a large building on the end of 42nd Street; business is doing extremely well.

You’re a bit too modest Nick; you were named New York Time’s ‘Best New Business Man of the Year’! Now if you don’t mind, I would like to ask you some questions about your time here in West Egg. What did you think of Jay Gatsby?

(N.C)- Gatsby was a great man, and more importantly my friend. I never approved of him throwing large parties and such because it was his way of proving himself, and it wasn’t necessary. He died trying to prove himself to Daisy and the rest of the world but he was better than them all.

Were you upset when he was murdered?

(N.C)- Of course I was! How could I not be upset that my friend was killed? What made me even more upset was the fact that virtually no one cared enough about him to come to his funeral. Everyone took advantage of him by going to his parties, but when it came to the simple gesture of paying respect to him at his funeral, no one did! This shows how discourteous people have become.

You were briefly in a relationship with professional golfer Jordan Baker, correct?

(N.C)- Yes I was

What caused this relationship to end?

(N.C)- I broke up with Jordan Baker just after Gatsby was murdered. This was a very confusing time for me; I just wanted to get away from the East and away from all the sadness. Part of me still loved Jordan but I knew our relationship wouldn’t last, we were just too different.

Okay, my last question is: do you think your success and the wealth that you have gained from it has changed your social class?

(N.C)- That’s a very interesting question. If you determine social class by the way I live my life, then my answer is no. I live in a regular sized home and I don’t spend my money on unnecessary things. I’m obviously not struggling to pay bills or afford to feed myself but I think I live a pretty humble lifestyle. I live the way I did before I was wealthy, I keep to myself and I’m not trying to prove myself to anyone as Gatsby did. I think Gatsby is the reason I live and think this way - I saw what his need to prove himself did to him and I don’t want my life to end the same way.

I would like to take this time to thank you again for coming here and speaking to me. I wish you continued success and I hope that we meet again one day.

(N.C)- The pleasure was all mine Edward! I’m sure we’ll meet again!

 

 

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment